You enjoy making data useful. You love it when a little analytical knowledge, programming experience, and a fine selection of tools allow you to wrestle insights from large datasets.
You’ve built and deployed software with Java on Linux. You also have some experience with Hadoop, distributed databases, or service-oriented infrastructures.
You are intrinsically motivated, and do best in an environment where no one tells you what to do. (At Next Big Sound you get to pick what you work on, whom you work with, and where you work). You think that the best use of you is to work projects like:
– Modeling time series data (e.g., in MySQL, MongoDB, HBase, or ElasticSearch).
– Working with enterprise clients to build ETL pipelines using Hadoop, Pig and Java.
– Developing large-scale data collectors/web crawlers (in Java or Python, with Redis or RabbitMQ).
– Building distributed services to satisfy queries from our online products
– Efficiently moving data in and out of Hadoop using Sqoop.
– Finding answers to ad-hoc, quantitative questions about the music or book business from customers, partners or the press.
You love learning, and might also like to share what you’ve learned at conferences or meetups, or by contributing to open source.
About Next Big Sound:
Launched in 2009, Next Big Sound is the leading provider of analytics and insights for music, book publishing and brands. We merge tens of billions of data points (social media, press coverage, events) for hundreds of thousands of artists and authors with our customers’ proprietary sales and streaming data. We use our data to forecast the next big selling artist. NBS powers the Social 50 and Next Big Sound charts for Billboard, artist analytics for Spotify, and has raised $7.5m from Foundry Group, IA Ventures, SofttechVC and others.
Curious about our interview process? We’ve open-sourced it: http://bit.ly/1d0KGe6
Python, Java, Hadoop, Pig, MySQL, MongoDB, RESTful Services, R, Hbase, Hive, Thrift, Oozie, Sqoop, Elastic Search , Finagle
New York City
$100K – $130K Salary
0.1% – 0.1% Equity
About Next Big Sound
Next Big Sound provides a dashboard, charts, and reports to monitor popularity, activity, and metrics for musicians across social media, sales and events.