Seeking Social Media Intern for Unique Electronic Music Startup/Non-profit Organization
Are you a fan of electronic dance music? Do you “give a beat” about making the world a better place for people that have been marginalized by racial injustice?
We are offering a special opportunity for someone who is passionate about music and social change, and addicted to social media!
Give a Beat is a California based non-profit organization that serves as a catalyst for social change by bridging global electronic dance music culture with youth and families impacted by incarceration. Through active collaborations with music producers, promoters, artists and socially conscious companies, we are raising awareness of pressing issues and injustices at live music events and through online platforms. (www.giveabeat.org)
- Social Media – learn and execute strategies for building and engaging a core audience via major networks (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) on behalf of a cause-related brand.
- Content Marketing – learn how to effectively develop concepts, research stories, and write social media content of interest to Give a Beat’s audience. Learn how to use this content to grow and engage an online audience.
- Soft skills – learn how to operate in a start-up environment: how to manage expectations, how to plan and organize tasks to meet moving deadlines, how to take direction, report to, and liaise with multiple organization leaders including Executive Director, Digital Media Marketing and Crowdfunding Consultants.
- Will dedicate 12-16 hours a week to position.
- Will work closely with the Executive Director to develop and integrate social media strategy.
- Will be generating social media content between Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Tumblr.
- This is a 4-month commitment (from late February to late June), unpaid with possible college credit (depending on college program). DOES have the potential to evolve into a paid part-time position.
- Must be located in the Los Angeles or Orange County areas and be willing to travel. Must have reliable transportation.
- Must have a strong working knowledge of the best practices and administrative mechanics of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.
- Must have a sincere interest in a career in social media, marketing and/or PR.
- Must demonstrate a great familiarity and/or passion for electronic dance music culture, musicians, and industry.
- Must have a natural attention to detail and be task-oriented.
- Must have a professional work ethic and be able to communicate and interact with professionals at various levels throughout the industry.
- Must possess excellent writing skills in order to generate content and occasionally provide write-ups for the Give A Beat blog.
- Must have an ability to think both analytically and creatively.
- Must demonstrate fluency with office tools: Word, Excel, web browsers, Google Docs
- Must demonstrate an authentic interest in the goals of Give a Beat (both the music & the cause)
- Please also include a cover letter detailing why you’d like to work for an electronic dance music-based nonprofit, along with your resume.
MORE ABOUT GIVE A BEAT
Give a Beat was founded by some of the team members behind NextAid. NextAid was a leading activist organization with the industry for over 10 years, channeling the positive energy from the dance floor to sustainable development projects in South Africa and Kenya. NextAid received incredible support from the dance music industry. Since 2004, along with artists like Louie Vega, Miguel Migs, and DJ Dan, and with industry leaders like OM Records, URB Magazine and Fusicology, we coordinated over 100 benefit events, organized several benefit CD projects and initiated dozen of campaigns.
Two years ago, the founder Lauren Segal was contacted by the Fetzer Institute and offered a grant to support the development of a new organization that would showcase the transformative power of dance music and address domestic needs. Our task: to showcase the potential of our dance music community’s capacity to generate love, compassion, forgiveness and ultimately, social change.
About Give A Beat
WHO WE ARE
Give a Beat provides dance and world music lovers with a unique channel for activism and philanthropy, while affecting change in the face of inequality.
Give a Beat is a California based organization that serves as a catalyst for social change by bridging global electronic dance music culture with youth and families impacted by incarceration.
We are a community of music lovers, musicians, artists, activists, promoters and entrepreneurs who care about the current state of domestic affairs, and want to create tangible opportunities for impact in vulnerable communities around the United States. Music is our inspiration, mode of communication and conduit for change.