Intermediate – Advanced Level
Reports to Director of Software
Join the Obscura team in the creation of groundbreaking immersive, conceptual, and interactive experiences.
A Creative Developer is responsible for bringing the creative vision of Obscura to life on a diverse mix of projects ranging from interactive large-scale projections to complex multi-display installations, many of which involve R&D. Creative Developers have the ability to work alone or in teams, incorporating input from multiple designers and artists into new interactive experiences for commercial, cultural or educational environments.
As a Creative Developer at Obscura, you will help to concept, design, and execute a wide range experiences ranging from passive to interactive, environment to screen based, physical to digital.
- Executes projects by translating designs from Creative Directors into code
- Recommends appropriate technologies for the development of new projects
- Works with media team to develop and display content and manage media assets
- Works with UI/UX designers in implementing intuitive user interfaces
- Applies best practices for efficient and effective development; looks for opportunities to streamline and fully utilize current and new technology solutions
- Works closely with the Director of Software and Project Managers to ensure projects are delivered on time, to a strong level of quality and with expectations of high uptime
- Maintains an inclusive process that empowers entire project team to contribute to final results
- Keeps the Director of Software and Project Managers fully informed on problems and progress
- Stays current on relevant technology and conducts necessary research and development testing to assess emerging technology options
Technical Skills & Experience:
- C++, C
- Derivative Touch Designer
- ActionScript 2 and 3
- Version control with Git
- Graphics: OpenGL, GLSL
- Scripting: Python, Windows Powershell
- OS: Windows, Linux, MacOS
A demonstrated track record of gaining trust and respect by consistently demonstrating sound creative, strategic, and analytical thinking skills, while maintaining composure in stressful situations.
- Must be able to use appropriate terminologies and language to accurately convey changes or direction in concept or design, including to and from non-technical staff
- Ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize tasks for each
- Ability to interact and collaborate with other departments within Obscura to solve problems
- Exceptional initiative and attention to detail
- Must love design and have strong aesthetic faculty
- Flexible Schedule; some evening and weekend work required as necessary, as well as occasional travel
Located in San Francisco’s Dogpatch neighborhood, Obscura is an alliance of artists and technologists who are pioneering the future of multidimensional sensory experiences. Our team shares a passion for inventing the uninvented, for exploring ways that technology can enable awe inspiring moments. We build our own solutions, which provide the platform for unprecedented expression. Our creative vision, whether to educate, inform, entertain, or amaze, determines the technology we need, and we build it from start to mind-blowing finish.
Timing: Full Time. Contract-to-hire. Permanent.
Location: San Francisco
Obscura creates immersive, multi-sensory experiences for public venues, branded environments, and live events. Since 2000, we have worked with the world’s most forward-thinking companies, real estate developers, and public institutions to reimagine how they interact with their audiences. Our diverse teams collaborate to produce award-winning experiences worldwide. Obscura is a Certified Green Business with offices in San Francisco, New York, and Stockholm.