Universal Music Group is seeking a Benefits Manager to be a strategic partner and tactical executor in developing, managing and administering the Benefits programs for the North America Region. This multi-faceted role includes design and analysis of all benefits programs, interfacing with brokers and vendors, coordinating open enrollment, communicating with staff to answer questions and resolve concerns, day to day administration, including data input for benefit programs including 401(k).
1. Manage day to day operations of retirement plans and partner and provide support with Director, Benefits on health and welfare plans; work closely with actuary, and outside ERISA counsel as needed.
2. Oversee administration and compliance for Qualified and Non-Qualified Retirement Plans including preparation, reconciliation and coordination of funding for multiple payroll cycles; manage monthly forfeiture process and coordinate reconciliations with Finance department; calculate adjusted service dates for rehires’ vesting; act as primary contact for vendor on day-to-day matters; address employee and management questions related to plan provisions and processes; clearly communicate intricacies of Plans to employees and HR generalists; primary contact for researching issues for former employees and participants; maintain and monitor Plan compliance; compile data for and oversee non- discrimination testing; participate in Investment Committee meetings.
3. Initiate, review and analyze HRIS and record keeper reports related to participant information to confirm data accuracy and identify errors; manage multiple manual processes; work with vendor to streamline processes; coordinate pay check adjustments with Payroll.
4. Manage the audit process and Form 5500 filings for ERISA plans; prepare requested information, provide all documentation and respond to auditors’ inquiries; keep benefits management informed on audit process; analyze audit reports and implement recommended process changes resulting from audit.
5. Work closely with Benefits Director on health and welfare plans; Annual Enrollment preparation and presentations; leave of absence administration; wellness fair.
6. Resolve research and respond to employee questions related to plan provisions and processes regarding retirement and health and welfare plans and programs.
7. Partner with HRIS on systems issues and projects.
8. Provide general support to Director of Benefits on projects and initiatives.
Job Knowledge and Skills:
• Compliance in all areas of benefits required including, but not limited to ERISA,
COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA, ACA, and the ability to identify and comply with new
state requirements as regulations are enacted
• Proficiency with MS Office, expert Excel experience is required
• Effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Strong propensity towards accuracy and high detail orientation are necessary for success
• Excellent organizational capability – ability to manage multiple work streams
with competing priorities at any given time
• Ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment that demands flexibility; self-driven.
• Strong background with leave of absence programs including but not limited to FMLA,
ADA, STD, LTD, bereavement, California Family Rights Act, and ability
to manage administration of these programs
• Experience managing 401(k) plans including day to day oversight,
nondiscrimination testing, annual audit and compliance
• Able to review and/or prepare 5500s, plan documents, Summary Plan Descriptions
and Summary Annual Reports
• Experience managing vendor searches and implementation a plus.
• Five to seven years of in depth benefits experience, preferably for organizations
larger than 1,000 employees.
• A degree in a related discipline from a four-year college, or equivalent related
seminars, classroom training, and experience, a plus.
About Universal Music Group
Universal Music Group (UMG) is the global music leader with strong market positions in recorded music, music publishing, and merchandising. The recorded music business discovers and develops recording artists and then markets and promotes their music across a wide array of formats and platforms. UMG's music publishing company, Universal Music Publishing Group, discovers and develops songwriters, and owns and administers copyrights to musical compositions for use in recordings, public performances, and related uses, such as films and advertisements. Bravado, UMG’s merchandising company, sells artist and music branded products via multiple sales points including online, fashion retail, and live performances.