12140 Thomas Drive, Tustin, CA 92782 |714-651-6697| firstname.lastname@example.org
University of California, Berkeley Class of 2014
B.A. Political Science with emphasis in American Politics Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Arnold O. Beckman High School Class of 2011
Principal’s Exemplary Honor Roll (4.5+ Cumulative Academic GPA) Cumulative GPA: 4.6
Homeless Advocacy Project San Francisco, CA
Intern May 2016 – July 2016
· Shadowed an attorney and assisted her in her caseload as she took on new client’s weekly, necessitating large degree of client control, persistently calling, tracking to ensure they made their appointments and court dates—office prioritized mentally and physically disabled who have most difficulty securing social service benefits and who are most at risk of losing their housing.
· Conducted legal research, drafted motions and discovery, took client’s statements, filed documents, directed home visits.
· Conducted new client intake interviews where I assessed client’s problem, the procedural state of the eviction, sought their explanation of the allegations, made recommendations at staff meetings after intake on which clients we should represent.
· Coordinated with variety of resources and organizations to secure documentation and letters of support for client in order to place them in best position for negotiations at mandatory settlement conference—settled all cases with behavioral stipulations where client is able to remain in their home so long as they do not violate the settlement agreement.
Chavos & Rau, APLC Santa Ana, CA
Legal Assistant/Secretary Jan 2015 – July 2015
· Analyzed documents received from opposing counsel and created summaries—most commonly employee files for wrongful termination cases and medical records for personal injury cases, transcribed discovery responses and prepared them for service
· Prepared deposition, motion hearing, and trial notebooks for the attorneys, proof-read the attorneys’ outgoing documents: pleadings, discovery, and letters, maintained and updated both our computer and physical filing systems.
· Drafted declarations, coordinated with opposing counsel to schedule mandatory meet and confer appointments and depositions.
Orange County Alternate Public Defender’s Office Santa Ana, CA
Intern Summers June 2011 – Aug 2013
· Reported to the office manager and was delegated assignments from the attorneys: compiled trial notebooks, conducted legal research, redacted documents, filed documents with the court and also to the District Attorney’s Office and county jail to drop off and pick up documents, coordinated and delivered borrowed suits for clients to wear for court appearances.
· Sat in on meetings with clients and also with the office’s investigator, and was tasked to read case files so I could provide my supervising attorney an opportunity to have a dialogue and discuss defense strategies.
Democratic Party of Orange County Santa Ana, CA
Intern June 2013 – Aug 2013
· Worked with the voter file system, Mobilize, Organize, Elect (MOE) for California’s Democratic Party to find registered voters on who to target outreach towards, created and managed lists of past and potential future donors, organized and led voter registration efforts.
LEADERSHIP ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
Lambda Chapter of Sigma Kappa Sorority at UC Berkeley Berkeley, CA
Member Aug 2012 – May 2014
· Organized many philanthropy events, prepared food and activities, advertised and promoted ticket sales, and played as team member in sports competitions representing our sorority in other fraternal organization’s philanthropic fundraising events.
University Clubs and Activities Berkeley, CA
Member Aug 2011 – May 2014
· Cal Berkeley Democrats
· Undergraduate Political Science Association
· Intramural Soccer and Basketball