LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/megan-scott-525848104
Seeking a creative & professional position within an influential organization that will challenge & work to inspire innovative methods to communicate strategically within a diverse community.
Public Relations Intern – Folkstep Records
June 2015 – Present – Detroit, Michigan
Communication Manager – Western Michigan University
January 2015 – April 2015 – Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Built & managed Communication Team to implement a new & effective network of communication for office paraprofessionals.
- Implemented a creative theme for work environment to convey fundraising goals, statistics & current campaigns of the BCC.
- Organized large events for paraprofessionals & professional staff; Spring Semester Kick Off & Yearly Banquet Award Ceremony.
- Highlighted student fundraisers weekly that exceeded minimum standards that had received positive feedback from the training manger.
- Inspired & perfected social media protocols, content writing, & organization to promote the goals of Western Michigan University.
MyWMU Community Manager – Western Michigan University
June 2014 – January 2015 (8 months) Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Produced creative & engaging social media campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram to reflect the diversity of Alumni & Students
- Collaborated with professional staff members to increase outreach of the MyWMU brand on & offline through creative event promoting
- Constructed original snap-stories for Throwback Thursday & generated storytelling for special event promotions
- Generated social media original content for MyWMU accounts to promote fundraising, & increase student outreach which was scheduled through HootSuite, Sprout, & TweetDeck.
- Developed professional writing skills through generating proposal & transitory memos to strengthen the MyWMU brand on campus
Social Media Manager – Western Michigan University
November 2013 – June 2014 (8 months) Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Created Facebook group pages for student employees to communicate about shift announcements, events, & substitutions for nightly call shift
- Learned various Google Analytics programs, as well as Social Media scheduling software; Hootsuite, Sprout, Tweetdeck, and Facebook Manager
- Streamlined a universal formatting protocol for all types of online/social media content writing produced by the Bronco Connection Center
- Collaborated with other paraprofessional teams within the Bronco Connection Center to create a unified & safe work experience free of discrimination.
- Attended weekly meetings with supervisor to evaluate performance, communicate projects to other departments, and report needs or issues within the Social Media department.
- Contributed a strategy for unifying the Alumni Association with the student population by branding the university’s social media presences as “MyWMU.”
Account Executive – Campus Special (acquired by Chegg, Inc.)
March 2013 – August 2013 (6 months) Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Sold over $11,000 in advertising during June 2014 summer campaign
- Generated over 1,000 customers of the college demographic market for local businesses in Kalamazoo
- Partnered with local business owners to create effective marketing strategies through digital media & signage
Student Alumni Ambassador & Trainer – Western Michigan University
September 2012 – May 2013 (9 months) Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Developed relationships with Donors & Alumni across to promote & receive annual gift giving efforts to student scholarships through SmartCall.
- Achieved Fundraiser Trainer status within 6 months of employment and received a wage increase to $9.01, the highest hourly pay level available for full time students.
- Created personalized messages for handwritten thank-you cards to individuals that have donated to WMU.
- Selected for group leader for inter-office fundraising competitions between M/W & T/TH calling shifts to encourage a team driven workplace environment for student fundraisers.
- Maintained a pledge percentage success rate over 30%, and received an average of $100 per donation towards student scholarships that were only funded by Alumni of the university.
Account Executive – Vector Marketing
May 2012 – August 2012 – Farmington Hills, MI
- Presented Cutco products for sale direct to the consumer, through preset appointments.
- Identified potential customers through personal referral and lead generation.
- Selected and Attended advanced training workshops and conferences for top Account Executives to refine personal sales techniques; consumer behavior, time management, and effective communication.
- Honored during the Midwest Vector Marketing Conference for outstanding leadership and communication skills.
Western Michigan University
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Organizational Communication, Creative Writing, 3.47
2010 – 2015
- Published an original web series for the WMU New Play project after idea was selected as 1 of 5 to be assigned to groups of writers by Dr. Steve Feffer to be produced by the theatre and creative writing departments.
- Vine Street Poet: a student lead team of writers dedicated to the process of performance writing by organizing monthly readings at various houses in the Vine neighborhood surrounding WMU.
- Honored during the Spring 2015 Gwen Frostic Reading Student Showcase with a live reading of original screenplay, “Charlotte,” a creative nonfiction reflection on familial roots, and experiences with race and gender in Michigan.
Activities and Societies
- Future Alumni Support Team Member, College of Arts & Sciences Senator, Western Student Association, Outspoken Pride Prom Coordinator, Peer Health Educator for WMU Sindecuse Health Center, Development of Minority Leaders, Students for Africa, Theatre for Community Health, F.I.R.E., Minority Voices
- account management
- Content Generation
- critical thinking
- event coordination
- public relations
- social media
Western Michigan University
September 2010/May 2015
Bachelor of Arts; PR/Organizational Communication & Creative Writing
Published Writer and Social Media Guru. I am always up for a challenge and love to support the power of music!