Address: 3298 Dry Run View Ln., Cincinnati, Ohio
Self-motivated individual with ability to manage a set of tasks to meet objectives and deadlines. High degree of persistence and attention to detail to organize complex information into concise and logical conclusions. Proficient at generating creative ideas and solutions to problems. Loyal relationship builder with talent for finding consensus among diverse personalities. Adept at leveraging social media and blogging to promote content. Niche specializations in music, local events, food, and leisure.
- adobe indesign
- adobe photoshop
- adobe premiere
- digital content
- editorial writing
- fluent in Arabic (80%)
- MS powerpoint
- MS Word and Excel
- music news writing
- news writing
- package clipping
- project management
- social media
- Windows and Mac OS Platforms
University of Cincinnati
- 09/2008-12/2013 B.A. in journalism
Richmond: The International University of London
- 2012 Study Abroad
Grey Media- Fox 19 WXIX
Digital Content Producer/Assignment Desk Editor
· Writes stories for the web. Result: Stories featured on front page of website.
· Listens to scanners and prompts newscasts
· Sorts through press releases and sends photographers to work on stories.
· Monitors and schedules posts to social media using Social News Desk, Tweetdeck, and Facebook. Result: Received over 8000 likes on a single Facebook post
· Clips packages and edits photos for the web
· Uses social media to find stories
· Pitches story ideas to reporters and editors
· Built strong relationships leading to by-name requests from PR agents and artists to review, interview, and write about musicians and concerts.
· Interviewed Ann Wilson of Heart, Andy Grammer, The Darkness, and Foxy Shazam.
· Sole Cincinnati journalist to review Foo Fighters concert during “Concrete and Gold” tour stop in Cincinnati.
· Stories featured on front banner of Cincy Music website. Results: Gained solid traction on social media and drove high number of visitors to the website with story on the band The Grove.
· Writes and edits feature stories, shoot photographs, conducts interviews, and review music for blog on a range of musicians.
New Noise Magazine
Freelance Music Journalist
• Write articles and reviews for print and digital music magazine focused on underground artists in indie, punk, and metal genres read worldwide.
• Go-getter style led to writing six stories for one print cycle, more than double the output of other writers.
• Interviewed and wrote expanded feature story on We Came as Romans’ “Cold Like War” album.
Issue Media Group-Soapbox Cincinnati
• Contributed to a weekly online magazine that illuminates developments in Cincinnati area.
• Successfully pitched “Take a Bite Out of Cincy: 9 Locally Made Snacks” story idea. Result: Story gained 357 Facebook likes, more than seven times the average number of story likes.
• Utilized dynamic storytelling techniques by approaching stories from different angles.
• Skillfully leveraged social media to promote pieces.
WCPO Channel 9
Freelance News Journalist
• Earned front-page status with first story, “Studying on the High Seas: Four Sisters Make Semester at Sea Voyages A Family Affair,” on WCPO website.
• Interviewed guest speaker and political journalist Candy Crowley. Result: Story featured on Women’s City Club of Greater Cincinnati website.
• Wrote and illustrated conflict between democrats and republicans in “The White House vs. Capitol Hill.”
• Covered Palestinian protest in downtown Cincinnati during 2014 bombings and interviewed people on both sides of the conflict.
Freelance News Journalist
• Photographed and wrote front-page worthy stories for website aimed at covering development in the urban part of Cincinnati.
• One of the first to write about the entrepreneurship group MORTAR and their efforts to empower residents of Walnut Hills area.
• Brought abundant traffic to station websites by blogging and posting to social media.
• Split time between blogs and online news for 8 different stations, including Kiss 107, WEBN, and 700 WLW.
• Attended newsworthy events to shoot photos and learned to shoot video.
Brown County Press
Mt. Orab, Ohio
• First journalist to write about country music artist and songwriter Noah Smith.
• Learned how to appeal to a local audience by writing stories about village events, state officials, and education issues.
University of Cincinnati Newspapers
• Wrote about campus life, and covered beats at both papers. Result: Awarded “Most Stories Written in a Quarter” at The Activist.
• Wrote five stories in one week during exams!